Toilet Time

Well if you know me, six months since my last post isn't that bad!

Don't want to come across as sounding like one of those disability activists, who have nothing better to do than chain themselves to a bus but toilet time is an issue that has been niggling in the back of my mind for a while. If you have a neuromuscular condition (or other disability that limits your upper body strength) you will probably already know what I am going to have a little whinge about.
At school I was scared stiff of asking if I could use the toilet at any time other than at the start of break, named by others now as 'toilet time'. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this term I will explain where it comes from. If any student asked to go to the toilet at any other time most support staff would give you the look, some even told you off - they need to have a break remember! So what, that was over 10 years ago! Well this is what! I know it still happens now and across the country. I was told of someone only a few years ago who answered back. When an LSA said she was popping to the toilet between lessons the student responded "but it's not toilet time" the comment was not received well!
My point... I am not talking about children in Primary School, I am talking about 11, 12 even 16 year olds and do not worry there is no discrimination - all students that need help have to addear to this toilet time rule (although I have never seen this rule written down in a prospectus). I am sure if the toilets were locked and only opened for part of the day in your place of work or school it would make the national news!

Well now I have that off my lopsided chest I will get on with more important things, like learning how to play poker!

Live life like tomorrow is your last (or at least try).

ps I wish I could say it was me who had answered back - make a stand.

Comments

Anonymous said…
ORMESBY SCHOOL a nightmare for "toilet time" !!!!!! :@
No need for it - pee on demand!!
Anonymous said…
I remember that - It is amazing how tolerent and understand everyone was tho- now I think back. That students were asked to wait in turn and then come back and eat their lunches and snacks after they had help with their toileting needs.