Uniqueness

It has just occurred to me that I haven't mentioned that I have a neuromuscular condition called Spinal Muscular Atrophy type 2. I once knew a girl, who also had SMA, who had a page on her website called 'Uniqueness' where she mentioned her SMA hence the title of this blog post.

I hope this now means that the topic choices in my previous blog posts make some sense!

A bit more about my Uniqueness

I have never walked as SMA means I have no strength in my muscles. I was labeled as a lazy baby and therefore wasn't diagnosed until I was age 3 and transfered for numerous tests at Great Ormond Street Hospital. My Family moved from London to West Sussex so that I would be able to be educated in a mainstream school as was recommended by my doctor - this was not the norm then.

Anyway I don't want to bore you with my life story! As I mentioned in a previous post I use a Powerchair called a Dragon (designed by the father of a toddler, now an adult, with SMA) to give me independent movement. Luckily I am great at directing as, due to my weak muscles, I have to organise others to assist me with all personal care. However, I do drive an adapted car! - isn't technology great? I can drive at 70mph down a motorway but I can't even wipe my own arse!




Comments

FayBee said…
What a lovely use of pictures Cath, it makes a blog much more enjoyable to read :-)
wheelimcn said…
Think you forgot the :0p Faye! :0p
Bert said…
Just remember you are unique. Just like everybody else.